Thursday, June 2, 2016

Strabismus, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift And A TED Talk Focused on Education Using VR

Recently I have been investigating two new VR systems, the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift, which seem to be revolutionary because of the current affordable technology that allows such devices to be mass produced for the public.

HTC Vive

The Vive does seem like the superior headset because it has more of an interactive ability, which is important I believe for a proper VR experience. But the reason I was doing the research is because I found some information saying it helped people who could not see in three dimensions, such as a small percentage of the population who have strabismus (convergent squint), which is what I have. I don't see the world in 3D, I see it in 2D like a photograph or a painting. Some people with strabismus have suddenly started be able to see in three dimensions after using these headsets, but not only that, I did see a few public posts saying they started to see in 3D back in real life, without the headsets on.

Oculus Rift

Below is a new TED talk focused on the use of VR within education.

Description: "Virtual reality is no longer part of some distant future, and it's not just for gaming and entertainment anymore. Michael Bodekaer wants to use it to make quality education more accessible. In this refreshing talk, he demos an idea that could revolutionize the way we teach science in schools."



No comments: